From 500 Soups.
• Olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• Two 400g (14oz) cans chickpeas
• 450g (1 lb) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or canned if out of season)
• 1 litre (1 ¾ pts) chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 tablespons chopped fresh parsley
• Juice of about half a lemon,
• Salt and pepper.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook gently for 4 minutes.
• Stir in the cumin, cinnamon and ginger, then add half the chickpeas, the tomatoes and most of the stock, reserving about 200ml (7 fl oz). Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile, process the remaining chickpeas and reserved stock to a smooth purée in a food processor or blender.
• Stir the purée into the soup. Stir in the parsley. Add salt and pepper, and lemon juice to taste, and serve.