From 500 Soups.
• Olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• Two 400g (14oz) cans chickpeas
• 450g (1 lb) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or canned if out of season)
• 1 litre (1 ¾ pts) chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 tablespons chopped fresh parsley
• Juice of about half a lemon,
• Salt and pepper.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook gently for 4 minutes.
• Stir in the cumin, cinnamon and ginger, then add half the chickpeas, the tomatoes and most of the stock, reserving about 200ml (7 fl oz). Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile, process the remaining chickpeas and reserved stock to a smooth purée in a food processor or blender.
• Stir the purée into the soup. Stir in the parsley. Add salt and pepper, and lemon juice to taste, and serve.
• Vegetable Powder
I kinda stole this from the ingredient list of store-bought nuts, so I don’t have a proper recipe. I used a teaspoon of sugar and honey with maybe half a teaspoon of each other ingredient, for about two cups of cashews.
I tossed the cashews in a frying pan on medium heat with the sugar and honey until the sugar dissolved. I then combined the other ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkled them over the nuts. I kept frying for another couple of minutes on medium heat, then let the cashews cool on baking paper.
Prep time: 30 minutes. Total cooking time: 1 hour 15 mins.
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 8-10 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
• 1 large red onion, chopped
• 1 stick celery, sliced
• 2 carrots, sliced
• 3 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
• 1/3 cup chopped dried pitted dates
• 4 strips lemon peel
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 2 teaspoons cornflour
• Heat half the oil in a large stockpot over high heat. Cook drumsticks in to batches, turning frequently until browned. Transfer to a plate.
• Add remaining oil and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook, stirring for five minutes. Add spices and garlic and stir for a minute longer.
• Add ginger, dates, lemon peel, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and stock. Bring to the boil.
• Return drumsticks to the dish and stir to combine. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
• Remove drumsticks from pan. Blend cornflour with two teaspoons of water. Add to sauce and simmer, stirring for one minute. Return drumsticks to pan and stir to coat with sauce.
• Serve with couscous or rice, chopped coriander leaves and green beans.