You can make these with any chocolate cupcake recipe, and add peanut butter frosting on top. This recipe uses my favourite cupcake base, but check out my cupcake page for other chocolate cupcake options.
Gluten-free vegan option: Make these GF/V by combining the basic GF/V chocolate cupcake recipe with the vegan peanut butter frosting listed on my buttercream post.
Ingredients – cupcakes:
• 3 eggs
• 180g sugar
• 250g peeled and finely grated carrot
• 2 tablespoons strong coffee
• 120g rice flour
• 50g almond flour
• 40g cocoa
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 100g chocolate chips
Ingredients – icing:
• 100g butter, softened
• 65g smooth peanut butter
• 3 cups / 360g icing sugar
• 3 tablespoons 45ml milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 100g dark chocolate, melted
Method – cupcakes:
• In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for five minutes until the mixture is quadrupled in volume and extremely fluffy.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
• Whisk the carrot and coffee into the mixture.
• When they are fully incorporated, add the flour, ground almonds, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat with an electric whisk or fold with a wooden spoon until well combined.
• Fold in the chocolate chips.
• Spoon into prepared muffin trays lined with paper cases, so the mixture reaches four fifths of the way up the sides.
• Bake for 25 minutes.
• Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then at room temperature for at least half an hour before icing. Make the icing while you wait.
Method – icing:
• Using an electric beater, whisk the butter until pale and softened.
• Add the icing sugar, milk and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
• Pipe melted chocolate into shapes onto a tray lined with baking paper. Leave to set, then garnish the cupcakes. Alternative options include drizzling melted chocolate over the icing, or sprinkling with dark chocolate chips.