From Gourmet Garden’s Asian volume of its ‘Taste the World’ series.
• 750g pork fillet, trimmed of all sinew and thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
• ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 4 star anise
• 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• ¼ wombok cabbage, finely sliced
• 2 cups long grain rice
• To prepare the marinade, mix together soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and oyster sauce in a bowl. Add pork and star anise and marinate for a few minutes.
• Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok. Brush off excess liquid from pork and cook in two batches over high heat until well-browned.
• Add coriander and any remaining marinade and cook until pork is tender, about 1 minute.
• Serve over shredded raw or lightly steamed cabbage, with steamed rice on the side.