A simple-to-prepare mince dish from “Quick and Easy”. This is a great recipe to prepare ahead of time, letting the flavours develop overnight. Then all you need to do is reheat it and cook the pasta.
Prep time = 10 minutes, Cooking time = 1 hour 30 minutes.
• 100g streaky bacon or pancetta, finely chopped
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 bay leaf
• 800g minced beef
• 500ml/2 cups red wine
• 4 tablespoons tomato paste
• 400g tagliatelle pasta
• Freshly ground parmesan, to garnish
• Heat a large, deep frying pan. Add the bacon or pancetta and cook over medium-high for 2 minutes, or until soft and just starting to brown. Add the onion, garlic and bay leaf and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
• Add mince and stir for about 4 minutes, or until it browns, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the wine, tomato paste and 1 cup / 250ml water and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 40 minutes, until reduced to a thick, glossy sauce.
• About 20 minutes before the ragu is ready, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain, serve the sauce over the pasta, and garnish with a little grated parmesan.