From “The Food Truck Cookbook”, this recipe is a healthier way to cook butter chicken (without compromising on taste). The peaches balance out the flavour of the spices but don’t give it a peachy taste, so it’s basically a hidden serving of fruit! And the yoghurt and coconut cream gives it a rich flavour without needing tonnes of butter. Delicious!
Ingredients – chicken + marinade
• 6 boneless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
• 3 tablespoons tomato purée
• 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
• 4 tablespoons plain low-fat yoghurt
Ingredients – curry sauce
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 2 shallots, chopped
• 3 tablespoons curry powder
• 3 tomatoes, chopped
• 1 cup diced, peeled peaches
• 400ml lite coconut cream
• 1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
• 3 tablespoons butter (preferably almond butter)
• Rice, to serve
• Mix chicken, tomato purée, chilli powder and yoghurt together and marinate for an hour. Drain.
• Heat a heavy-based frying pan. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Set aside.
• Heat oil in the frying pan. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a minute. Add shallots and cook for a further minute. Add curry powder and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes and peaches and cook for another minute.
• Add coconut cream, yoghurt and butter, and simmer for a further four minutes.
• Add cooked chicken to sauce and reheat thoroughly.
• Serve with a side of rice.