I made this deliciously moist cake by adapting the chocolate cupcake recipe from Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache and my chocolate mudcake recipe. The cake itself is both gluten- and dairy-free, and there are two options for the ganache icing (with cream or dairy-free).
Ingredients – cake:
• 3 eggs
• 180g sugar
• 250g peeled and finely grated carrot
• 2 tablespoons strong coffee
• 120g rice flour
• 50g almond flour
• 40g cocoa
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• Pinch of salt
Ingredients – ganache:
• 150g milk chocolate
• 150g dark chocolate
• 85ml (1/3 cup) thickened cream
Ingredients – dairy-free ganache:
• 300g dark chocolate
• 85ml (1/3 cup) coconut cream
Method – cake:
• In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for five minutes until the mixture is quadrupled in volume and extremely fluffy.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
• Whisk the carrot and coffee into the mixture.
• When they are fully incorporated, add the flour, ground almonds, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat with an electric whisk or fold with a wooden spoon until well combined.
• Spoon into prepared cake tin.
• Bake for 35 minutes.
• Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then at room temperature for at least half an hour before icing. Make the ganache while you wait.
Method – ganache:
• Place chocolate and cream/coconut cream in a medium heavy-based saucepan over very low heat. Stir frequently, and remove from heat when the chocolate has just melted and the mixture is smooth. If necessary, allow the ganache to cool slightly at room temperature to obtain a spreadable consistency.