From Jamie Oliver’s website. This recipe takes 45 minutes, and serves six people.
• 600g mixed mushrooms, finely sliced
• Olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
• 2 sticks celery, trimmed and finely sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
• A few sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley: leaves picked, finely chopped and set aside; stalks finely chopped
• A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
• 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
• Salt and pepper
• 75ml single cream
• 4-6 slices ciabatta bread
• Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, parsley stalks, thyme leaves and mushrooms, place a lid on top and sweat gently until softened.
• Spoon four tablespoons of mushrooms out of the pan and put to one side. Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil.
• Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then whiz with a hand-held blender until smooth.
• Pour in the cream, bring back to just boiling, then turn off the heat.
• Toast the slices of ciabatta in a hot griddle pan, then top with most of the reserved mushrooms and drizzle with olive oil.
• Spoon the soup into bowls, garnish with the chopped parsley leaves and remaining mushrooms, and serve with the ciabatta crostini.