Vanilla Cupcakes (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
From Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache. This recipe is great on its own, or you can use it as a base for designer cupcakes.
• 2 eggs
• 160g sugar
• 300g peeled and finely grated zucchini
• 180g white rice flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• Snow Meringue Icing, with a teaspoon of vanilla essence
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
• Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and light, for at least five minutes.
• Whisk in the grated zucchini briefly to incorporate.
• Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Sprinkle over half the dry ingredients with the egg mixture and whisk thoroughly for 20 seconds.
• Add the rest of the flour and the vanilla essence, whisking until well combined. Don’t be concerned if it’s runny – this is normal.
• Ladle the mixture into muffin tins lined with paper cases so they come four-fifths of the way up the sides. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
• When the cupcakes are cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack before icing with Snow Meringue.