I found this at veganbaking.net, submitted by Sugar Mama Bake Shop (itself host to a vegan baking site). I renamed it Ultimate Cake because I have friends and family with gluten, soy, dairy and/or egg allergies, so this recipe covers most bases! Unless specified, you do have to follow the ingredients quite specifically (e.g. coconut flour rather than dessicated coconut).
NB: If you are making it truly vegan, be careful that all the ingredients are “safe” (for example you may need to use organic cane sugar).
This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes, two 7” round cakes, or one 9” cake.
• ¾ cup sorghum/jowar flour (or brown rice flour)
• ¾ cup tapioca flour
• ½ cup coconut flour
• 1 cup vegan sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum)
• ½ cup plain coconut milk (or soy, almond, etc.)
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 1 cup warm water
• 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or coconut, canola etc.)
• 1 Tablespoon good-quality vanilla
• ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
• Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
• Measure the non-dairy milk into a liquid measuring cup and add lemon juice. Set aside for now.
• Whisk together all dry ingredients.
• Add all liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with electric mixer until smooth.
• Grease a round cake pan or line a muffin tray with paper liners. Fill the pan or wrappers.
• If making a cake, bake for 30 minutes. If making cupcakes, bake for 15-20 minutes. The cake will be ready when it’s light brown on top, springs back when you press it lightly, or a skewer comes out clean.
Ice with a vegan buttercream.