This is a conglomeration of several recipes. The short version is from Food in a Minute, and uses Wattie’s Just Add Devilled Sausages, while the longer version makes the sauce from scratch.
• 600g pork or chicken sausages
• Devilled sauce (canned or homemade; see below)
• 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
• 2 apples, cored and sliced
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 onions, thinly sliced
• 1 large apple, thinly sliced
• 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
• ¼ cup tomato sauce
• ¼ cup barbecue sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
• Heat oven to 180°C/360°F.
• Pan-fry sausages until browned and just cooked. Remove and cool slightly.
• Chop into pieces and place in a casserole dish.
• If making the sauce, heat oil in the same frying pan and fry garlic, onions and apple until soft. Add to sausages.
• Mix together remaining sauce ingredients, or add Wattie’s Just Add Devilled Sausages to the frying pan. Stir in cider or apple juice and bring to the boil.
• Pour sauce over sausages. Layer the sliced apple over the sausages.
• Cover casserole and cook in oven for 30-40 minutes.
• Serve with rice or mashed potato and steamed green veggies.