This recipe is great for leftover ham cuts or scraps of shaved ham. The cheese sauce makes it thick and filling – perfect for a rainy day.
• 3 ½ cups peeled, diced potatoes
• 1/3 cups chopped celery
• ½ cups onion, finely chopped
• 1 ½ cups chopped cooked ham
• 3 ½ cups chicken broth
• Salt, to taste
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 5 tablespoons butter
• 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 2 cups milk
• 2 ½ cups grated cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth, celery, onion, potatoes, and ham to the boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender; about 15 minutes. Stir in pepper and salt to taste.
• In another, smaller saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about one minute.
• Slowly whisk in milk, whisking away any lumps that may form. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thick and bubbly; about five minutes. Add cheese and stir through.
• Stir cheese sauce mixture into your potato/veggie mixture. Heat through.
• Spoon into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and parsley, if desired.