Another “Red Velvet & Chocolate Heartache” winner. This is now my go-to cupcake recipe; I actually prefer it to all the other chocolate cupcake recipes I’ve tried in the past. The icing is deliciously thick, more like frosting than icing.
the cupcakes themselves are both gluten-free and dairy-free; check the note at the bottom on how to make the frosting dairy-free too.
Ingredients – cupcakes:
• 3 eggs
• 180g sugar
• 250g peeled and finely grated carrot
• 2 tablespoons strong coffee (or boiling water if you don’t like coffee)
• 120g rice flour
• 50g almond flour
• 40g cocoa
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 100g chocolate chips
Ingredients – icing:
• 100g butter
• 100g icing sugar, sieved
• 2 tablespoons boiling water
• 50g cocoa powder, sieved
Method – cupcakes:
• In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for five minutes until the mixture is quadrupled in volume and extremely fluffy.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
• Whisk the carrot and coffee into the mixture.
• When they are fully incorporated, add the flour, ground almonds, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat with an electric whisk or fold with a wooden spoon until well combined.
• Fold in the chocolate chips.
• Spoon into prepared muffin trays lined with paper cases, so the mixture reaches four fifths of the way up the sides.
• Bake for 25 minutes.
• Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then at room temperature for at least half an hour before icing. Make the icing while you wait.
Method – icing:
• Using an electric beater, whisk the butter until pale and softened.
• Add the icing sugar and water and whisk until it forms a smooth pastes and doubles in volume.
• Add the cocoa powder a few tablespoons at a time, ensuring you stop the beaters while you add it or it will fly everywhere.
• Beat thoroughly for a final minute.
• Ice the cupcakes, making sure they’re completely cooled before doing so.
• Embellish with a few shavings of chocolate if desired.
> Optional alternative: Add an extra 50g chocolate chips if you don’t want the icing or don’t have time to ice them.
• 3 3/4 cups (about a pound) icing sugar
• 1/2 C vegetable shortening, softened
• 3-4 tablespoons dairy-free milk (e.g. almond, rice or soy milk)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1 tablespoon cocoa