From Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache. Be sparing with the rosewater as it easily overpowers.
Ingredients (makes 12):
• 2 medium eggs
• 160g caster sugar
• 250g peeled and finely grated zucchini/corgette
• finely grated zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tablespoon rose water
• 100g white rice flour
• 100g ground almonds
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
• Whisk the eggs and sugar for five minutes until pale.
• Whisk in the grated zucchini, lemon zest and rose water.
• Add the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt, and beat to combine.
• Line a muffin tray with paper cases, and spoon the mixture into the cases to they each four-fifths of the way up the sides.
• Bake for 30 minutes.
• When done, remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
• To make the icing, follow the recipe for Snow Meringue Icing, substituting some of the water for rose water. Since everyone has different tastes and tolerances for rose water, it’s up to you how much you want to use, but as a general rule I find that a desertspoon is enough, along with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water.
• Add a few drops of red food colouring, mixing through and adding more drops until you get the shade you want.
• Ice the cupcakes using a palette knife or spatula, and decorate with pink sugar or other garnishes if desired.