Recipe from Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache. Makes enough for 12 cupcakes or 1 whole cake. Make sure that the cake/cupcakes are completely cool before icing.
• 170g icing sugar
• 2 tablespoons water (or equivalent amount of liquid flavouring, depending on the accompanying cake recipe)
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1 egg white
• small pinch of salt
• Place all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl over a pan of boiling water. Stir with a clean metal spoon for two minutes to dissolve the sugar.
• When the mixture is warm, remove the bowl from the heat and beat with an electric whisk for nine minutes until cool.
• Ice immediately, either with a piping bag or using a knife or spatula.