Prep time: 30 minutes. Total cooking time: 1 hour 15 mins.
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 8-10 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
• 1 large red onion, chopped
• 1 stick celery, sliced
• 2 carrots, sliced
• 3 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
• 1/3 cup chopped dried pitted dates
• 4 strips lemon peel
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 2 teaspoons cornflour
• Heat half the oil in a large stockpot over high heat. Cook drumsticks in to batches, turning frequently until browned. Transfer to a plate.
• Add remaining oil and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook, stirring for five minutes. Add spices and garlic and stir for a minute longer.
• Add ginger, dates, lemon peel, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and stock. Bring to the boil.
• Return drumsticks to the dish and stir to combine. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
• Remove drumsticks from pan. Blend cornflour with two teaspoons of water. Add to sauce and simmer, stirring for one minute. Return drumsticks to pan and stir to coat with sauce.
• Serve with couscous or rice, chopped coriander leaves and green beans.