From “The Food Truck Cookbook”, this recipe is exactly the same as the one for butter chicken, but with watermelon instead of chicken. Don’t hate it til you’ve tried it! There is a dairy-free/vegan option using hummus – see the bottom of the post for instructions.
Ingredients – watermelon + marinade
• 4 cups diced, skinless watermelon
• 3 tablespoons tomato purée
• 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
• 4 tablespoons plain low-fat yoghurt
Ingredients – curry sauce
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 2 shallots, chopped
• 3 tablespoons curry powder
• 3 tomatoes, chopped
• 1 cup diced, peeled peaches
• 400ml lite coconut cream
• 1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
• 3 tablespoons butter (preferably almond butter)
• Mix watermelon, tomato purée, chilli powder and yoghurt together and marinate for an hour.
• Heat oil in the frying pan. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a minute. Add shallots and cook for a further minute. Add curry powder and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes and peaches and cook for another minute.
• Add coconut cream, yoghurt and butter, and simmer for a further four minutes.
• Add drained watermelon to sauce and reheat thoroughly.
To make dairy-free or vegan:
You could always substitute dairy-free yoghurt, but for a much cheaper and more readily available alternative, use hummus as follows:
• When marinating the watermelon, use a combination of 3 tablespoons of plain hummus mixed with 2 tablespoons of coconut cream.
• Add a further 4 tablespoons of hummus in place of yoghurt in the second-to-last step (when you add the coconut cream to the curry). Simmer for an extra couple of minutes to let it reduce further.