This is Nigella Lawson’s recipe for American-style breakfast pancakes. Blini pans are really good for making pancakes, but any pan will do the trick.
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 2 tablespoons(30g) butter, melted and cooled
• 1 1/3 cups milk
• Butter or cooking spray for frying
• The easy method is to put all ingredients into a blender and blitz until combined. To mix by hand, mix the dry ingredients and create a well in the middle. Beat the eggs, butter and milk and pour into the well. Mix all ingredients together until combined.
• It’s good to let the mixture rest for 20 minutes, adding a little more milk after to make it runny again (but don’t stress over it if you can’t wait that long).
• Transfer to a pitcher if you have one – it’s much easier to pour the batter rather than using a spoon.
• Fry in a greased pan until the upper side is blistering and bubbling, then flip over and cook for a further minute.
Serve with your favourite toppings. Maple syrup, lemon juice, fried bacon strips, bananas fried in syrup, or berries are all common favourites.
Variation: Sprinkle blueberries onto the uncooked side of the pancake just after you’ve poured the batter into the pan.