• 1 cup gluten-free flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 cup coconut
• 45g gluten-free cereal (see note below)
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 6 oz / 175g butter
• Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
• Crush the cereal with your hands and mix the dry ingredients together.
• Melt butter and add vanilla.
• Mix together all the ingredients.
• Pour into a lined square baking tin, and press down gently but firmly.
• Bake for 20 minutes (the edges should be just starting to crisp).
• Ice with peppermint icing (icing sugar, water and peppermint essence), and when set ice with chocolate icing (icing sugar, water and cocoa).
Note: The original recipe calls for weet-bix so go for plain, grainy cereals. I used gf cornflakes and they tasted fine.
• Alternatives: Use lemon-rind or orange-rind instead of peppermint to make chocolate lemon crunch or chocolate orange crunch, or ice with just the chocolate icing to make chocolate crunch.