• 700g (25oz) sugar
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/2 tin condensed milk
• 125g (4oz) salted butter
• 1 tablespoon golden syrup
• Heat butter, milk and condensed milk in a saucepan, stirring until it boils.
• Take off heat.
• Add sugar and stir to dissolve, then heat mixture again.
• With the mixture just simmering at boiling point, stir for half an hour (it’s important to stir constantly otherwise the sugar will burn). Using a wooden or metal spoon with holes in the head is ideal because it helps to aerate the mixture.
• When it’s done (it will be thick and caramel-coloured), beat on high with an electric whisk until thick (about five minutes).
• Pour into a greased tin and leave to cool before refrigerating.