• 1 lemon
• 200g sugar
• 250g self-raising flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 250g butter
• 4 eggs
• 150g castor sugar
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 T gin
• Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F and line an 18cm round cake tin.
• Zest and juice lemon and place in food processor with sugar; mix until zest turns to specks.
• Add sifted flour, baking powder, butter and eggs to bowl and mix until smooth.
• Tip into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer tests clean.
• Mix the castor sugar, lemon juice and gin together to form a syrup.
• Remove the cake from the oven, prick with a fork, and spoon over the syrup.
• Serve either warm or cool with cream, decorated with candied peel.