This recipe makes two rolls (six servings).
• One medium-sized head of chopped broccoli
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 beaten eggs
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 2 cups breadcrumbs
• 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
• Juice from one lemon
• Salt and pepper
• Sauté onion in butter with half a teaspoon of salt.
• When soft add broccoli.
• Salt again and sauté until broccoli is tender, but still bright green (about eight minutes over medium heat).
• Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
To assemble strudel:
• Melt 1/2 pound butter for every two rolls, or use cooking spray if preferred.
• Place one rectangle of filo pasty down length-ways. Brush generously with melted butter/spray, then place another leaf onto top and brush with more butter.
• Continue layering and buttering until four leaves, butter top leaf too.
• Apply half of the filling to the leaves, leaving at least 1.5 inches from sides and bottom (see photo below).
• Fold the edges over and gently roll forward, and place onto greased tray.
• Repeat this with second roll.
• Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
• Slash three or four diagonal slices using a serrated knife, through the top to filling.
• Cook for 30 minutes at 180°C/360°F.