• 115g/4oz butter
• 115g/4oz caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 115g/4oz unsweetened apple sauce
• 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
• 50g/2oz chopped pecans (optional)
• 75g/3oz sultanas (optional)
• 1 small red apple, thinly sliced
• Caster sugar
• Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
• Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and mix together.
• Add the flour and mix until smooth.
• Stir in the apple cause, cinnamon, pecans and sultanas.
• Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins. Lay the apple slices on top and sprinkle with a little caster sugar.
• Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack.