• 1 T olive oil
• 500g lamb leg steaks, cubed
• 2 T plain seasoned flour
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 2 carrots, sliced
• 300ml hot chicken stock
• 1 T Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
• Few fresh thyme sprigs
• 600g waxy potatoes
• Butter, for dotting
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°FC.
• Heat the olive oil in a large, wide pan over a medium heat. Dust the lamb steaks in the seasoned flour and fry, in batches, until browned. Set aside.
• Add the onion to the pan with the carrots, and cook for five minutes. Return the lamb to the pan with the hot chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce and the thyme. Season and remove from the heat.
• Thinly slice the potatoes and place half in an overlapping layer in a shallow ovenproof pan. Top with the meat mixture, then layer over the remaining potatoes and dot with butter.
• Cover and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for a further 20 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.