This is my standard go-to cupcake recipe. If I want to do something fancy with decorations, I usually use this recipe as the base – the buttermilk makes them nice and moist. I got this recipe from 500 Cupcakes recipe book.
• 225g butter, softened
• 225g (one cup) sugar
• 4 eggs
• 115ml buttermilk (or substitute – see note below)
• 1.5 teaspoons vanilla essence
• 225g (two cups) self-raising flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
• Cream the butter and sugar, mix with the other wet ingredients, then add the dry ingredients, mixing until combined.
• Spoon the mixture into prepared baking cases.
• Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
• Remove the tins from the oven and let cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a rack to cool.
Ice with your choice of icing, frosting or decorations. Makes about 18 cupcakes.
• Buttermilk substitute is easily made at home. The equivalent of one cup of buttermilk is made from one cup of milk with one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice, mixed together and left to stand for five minutes.